Catch up with the idea behind this series here.
A single line can have so much power in a movie. It can make us laugh, make us think, or make us cry. It can delve profoundly into the soul, give insight into a character’s mind, provide a perfect punch of beautiful language, or be so foolish that we can’t help but repeat it endlessly.
2010 gave us many great quotes from many great movies. Here’s just a sampling of how the power of the written word was wielded this year from 10 fantastic lines that served a great deal of purposes.
“Dating you is like dating a Stairmaster.”
- Erica Albright (Rooney Mara) in “The Social Network“
“I just want to be perfect.”
- Nina Sayers (Natalie Portman) in “Black Swan“
“That Charlene … she’s one of them MTv girls!”
- Micky Ward’s sisters in “The Fighter“
“It’s so fluffy I’m gonna die!”
- Agnes in “Despicable Me“
“This rock has been waiting for me my entire life.”
- Aron Ralston (James Franco) in “127 Hours“
“It was almost as if … I had a love that was all mine.”
- Olive Penderghast (Emma Stone) referencing Natasha Bedengfield in “Easy A“
“You’re waiting for a train, a train that will take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you, but you can’t be sure. But it doesn’t matter … because we’ll be together.”
- Mal (Marion Cotillard) in “Inception“
“When the world slips you a Jeffrey, just stroke the furry walls.”
- Aldous Snow (Russell Brand) in “Get Him to the Greek“
“Stop trying, SURRENDER!”
- Richard from Texas (Richard Jenkins) in “Eat Pray Love“
- Andy in “Toy Story 3“